Fan joint tutorial

Yesterday I made some tutorial videos.. My first! I didn’t want to spend a lot of time and make it super pro, so don’t expect too much.
With rigging training in general, I’ve found that deformation is often not given enough attention, as opposed to hardcore tech control setups. After all, deformation IS what you seen on screen. Luckily, this is seems to be changing.

Check them out:

1. fanJoint_intro
2. fanJoint_setup

I dig the amount of sounds, funny pauses and stuttering, when I’m trying to speak english :-)

Let me know if you find it dig it, hate it, have questions or other/better ideas!

(Some people had problems playing video 2 in Linux. It was incoded with flash 8. Now it’s flash 7. Please let me know if something does not work out for you!)

Monday, October 30th, 2006 Main, Tutorial

6 Comments to Fan joint tutorial

• Kustaa says:

oh Sune,
    your english is great and your techniques even better! long live fan joints.

• thematt says:

hehe I like that technique use it all the time, but mostly for shoulder actually..never kwew it’s call fan joint, but I can understand why.
    You english is perfect BTW..thanks for sharing

• sune says:

Thanks for commenting guys! Just had a look at tsm2. Looks like they use it all over the place too. So more common that I thought. The “fan joint” term I picked up from Jason Osipas “Stop Staring”.. So that’s one name, at least. Before I used to call them 50cent joints. But that sort of has a unwanted “rap ring” to it :-)

• Kustaa says:

50cent joint.. wow!!
    now i can be cool even though im rigging.. im gonna stick with 50cent!

• Sasha says:

Hej Sune,
    I saw you using those 50%’s ones, but I couldn’t get the setup right. Thanks for your videos, now I got a chance to try it. It’s so easy to skin like this – pleasure!

• bodymilk says:

Hey Man! Great trick! I will comment this to our TD!Is a nice way to forgot some corrective blend shapes, space deformers, and the problems and weights they bring. Thx to share your knowledges.
    Bodymilk